Penang Island is located on the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia and is part of the state of Penang. When it was captured by the British East India Company in 1786, it was dubbed Prince of Wales Island to commemorate the birthday of the Prince of Wales, later King George IV. George Town, the capital, was named after the reigning King George III. Penang Island is Malaysia’s fourth-largest island, covering 295 square kilometers. It is also the most populous island in the country, with an estimated population of 678,000 people. Two Penang Bridges connect the island to the mainland.